The White House
Isle of Coll

A new house in and around the ruins of 'The White House' where Boswell and Johnston visited during their tour of the Hebrides in 1773. The spectacularly cleft ruin is to be consolidated and only partly occupied. A glazed living room link connects a wing of domestic accommodation to the west, which is sheltered by a massive dry stone wall that extends into the landscape, extending the ancient patterns of enclosure analysed in the drawing above left. The building was completed in late June 2010.

Awards
Edinburgh Architectural Association Ambassador Award, 2011
Saltire Housing Award, Commendation, 2011
Architectural Excellence Award, Scottish Home Awards, 2011
RIBA Award, Royal Institute of British Architects, 2011
Stephen Lawrence Award, Shortlisted, 2011

Featured in the Scottish Government's 'Inspirational Projects' collection.

Team
Client : Private Client
Contractor : Spey Building & Joinery
Structural Engineers : David Narro Associates
Quantity Surveyors : Morham & Brotchie

On site photographs

Photographs : Andrew Lee