WtHs18 _35.jpg

The White House

Isle of Coll

This new house is clustered in and around the ruins of 'The White House' visited by Boswell and Johnston during their tour of the Hebrides in 1773. The spectacularly cleft stone shell of the original house is consolidated and partially occupied, retaining the sense of ruin which so defines the site. A glazed living room link looks out over the dramatic breakers of Grishipol Bay and connects a wing of domestic accommodation to the west. This west wing is sheltered from the sometimes fierce prevailing south-westerly winds by a massive dry stone wall, extending into the landscape and following the ancient patterns of enclosure weaving throughout the surrounding fields. The building was completed in late June 2010.

Back to Buildings >>

White House 2.jpg

Awards

Edinburgh Architectural Association Ambassador Award, 2011

Saltire Housing Award, Commendation, 2011

Architectural Excellence Award, Scottish Home Awards, 2011

RIBA Award, Royal Institute of British Architects, 2011

Stephen Lawrence Award, Shortlisted, 2011

Featured in the Scottish Government's 'Inspirational Projects' collection.

Team

Client : Private Client

Contractor : Spey Building & Joinery

Structural Engineers : David Narro Associates

Quantity Surveyors : Morham & Brotchie

On site photographs

Photographs : Eoin Carey & Andrew Lee